Friday, December 30, 2011

FIRST DISH

My friends are adorable for not telling me blatantly that I’m not wife material. They just smirk at me. Haha! My excuses not to get myself nailed down to do the household are far more than negotiable. That’s why my mom quickly agreed when I told her that I will cook the main dish for Christmas Eve. Probably, showing her the recipe swayed her enough to let me do it my way. 

 For 2011 Noche Buena:
Italian Spaghetti with Ham
(original recipe)

allrecipes.com c/o Erimess
Servings: 8 
Ingredients:
(US)

  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 4 cups sliced ham, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup butter









(Metric)
  • 450 g spaghetti
  • 540 g sliced ham, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 30 g butter
  • 80 g grated Parmesan cheese
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 70 g sliced black olives
  • 30 g chopped parsley
  • salt to taste
  • 115 g butter

Directions

  1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
  2. While spaghetti is cooking, heat the 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in a large skillet. Saute ham and garlic.
  3. Drain spaghetti well, and combine with sauteed ham and garlic in the skillet. Over very low heat, slowly stir in the cheese, eggs, olives, and half of the parsley. Remove from heat. Add salt and butter to taste, and sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve.

Prep Time
CHANGES MADE: 

Yes, I took the guts to experiment on the recipe. That’s tough love for my first victims. >devil speaking<
>The reviewers were right that not putting cream/milk would make it seem dry. I chose to put on 1 cup of cream.
>I added 3 cloves of garlic.
>I didn't put the extra salt and butter. Parmesan cheese would be enough to make it taste salty.

>I put on 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter. (No more butter!)
>There were no black olives. (Reason: I don't like the taste of black olives.)
>I only put 3 cups of sliced ham. (That's good enough. Spare some for your breakfast sandwich. Haha!)


I am proud to say that my first victims were not victims after all. They enjoyed the creamy taste of the pasta. Or probably it's just the principle of favorability. Beginner's luck as Santiago puts it. Woah! Enough of Paulo Coelho now...

Before I blabber irrelevantly, let me tell you this: I swear, they liked it. And that made me feel like I want to try more recipes next time. Hoho! 

______________________________________________________________________________________
Click here for more information about the recipe. Please read the reviews for recommendations.
Thank you to allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loading...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Box